Already have an account? Sign in.

 Remember Me | Forgot Your Password?

Risk Of Toxic Overdoses Of Vitamin D Is Virtually Zero

May 11, 2015: 12:00 AM EST
Vitamin D is essential for healthy bones and for preventing a variety of chronic illnesses, including heart disease and diabetes. Research has shown that many Americans do not get enough vitamin D in their diet, so physicians and nutritionists have recommended supplements. But fears have been raised that overdoing vitamin D can be toxic. A new U.S. study, however, shows that the danger of toxic overdoses of vitamin D is rare. Analyzing 10 years of data from 20,000 vitamin D measurements, the researchers found that eight percent had levels greater than the recommended maximum of 50 ng/mL. Less than one percent had levels over 100 ng/mL. But even among those with high levels of vitamin D, the risk of hypercalcemia, or elevated serum calcium, was nonexistent.
Michael F. Holick, "Vitamin D Is Not as Toxic as Was Once Thought: A Historical and an Up-to-Date Perspective", Mayo Clinic Proceedings, May 11, 2015, © Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research
Diet Insights
Diet Research & Advice
North America
United States of America
Research, Studies, Advice
Developed by Yuri Ingultsov Software Lab.